I’ve never really thought about composting our dog’s poo – mostly I just want to throw it out because it’s smelly. Today I found a couple of websites outlining how to create a compost bin for your dog so you can reuse the soil.
The compost CANNOT be used on any food based plants due to the fact that it may contain some toxins that could be harmful if ingested. It also says not to use it on garden beds either.
How to create your own dog compost
- Take an old (or new) plastic garbage bin and drill lots of holes in the sides.
- Cut out the bottom of the bin and remove it
- Dig a hole in the ground that is big enough to put the entire garbage bin into.
- Put some gravel or rocks in the bottom of the hole for drainage then put the garbage bin into the whole. Make sure that there is a bit of the bin sticking out the top of the hole. Put a lid on top.
- When you scoop the poop, throw it in the hole and add some septic starter and water.
- The waste decomposes and enters the subsoil.
The compost can be used for shrubs and bushes, but not garden beds or food crops.