A little while ago my husband started telling me about this pug that was running for mayor. I thought he was joking until he explained the reasoning behind the whole endeavour, which was to demonstrate that the current candidates running for mayor are not using social media to reach their constituents as well as they could. Cleo, a community concerned pug, stepped up to the plate and launched a full scale social media campaign including a blog, Twitter, Facebook, and Flickr to reach her fans. And it worked.
Here is Cleo’s platform.
- Cleo has never been to court for bribery charges
- Cleo never tried to give herself a $32,000 raise whilst campaigning on a platform of fiscal responsibility
- Cleo has never inserted a business kiosk under a bridge as a means to deal with youth homelessness. Instead of creating a “businesslike look” to deal with homelessness, Cleo supports enhancing social programs.
- Cleo has never compared panhandlers to pigeons. Ever.
- Cleo understands that Ottawa is snowy in the winter. She has to wear special booties and everything. They keep the salt out of her paws. Therefore, you can expect that Cleo will not underestimate the snow removal budget during her years in power.
- Pugs are renowned for curly tails and their fiscal responsibility. Did you know that pugs have to consciously keep their tail curly? Cleo is capable of juggling many issues at once, and will take a nuanced approach to taxes — you can expect Cleo to not make promises she cannot keep.
I’d vote for her.
An aside, Cleo’s Facebook account was deactivated due to how fast people flocked to support her. She is now concentrating on communication via her blog and twitter.