Warning: The following post contains a lot of Bacon! (but what pooch doesn’t love bacon!?!!? )
Click here to Print the PDF Recipe, and follow my Step by Step Photo Recipe below!
8 Strips of Bacon
3 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 Cup Cornmeal
1 Egg, Beaten
1/3 Cup Organic Peanut Butter
1 1/2 Cups Water
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Set the Bacon aside for now, you won’t need it just yet.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl, and then add the wet ones. (either mix with your paws or a mixer)
3. On a lightly Floured Surface, roll out the dough.
4. Cut the dough into small strips about 4 inches long, then roll. (alternatively, you can just pull out clumps from the ball of dough and begin rolling… ) Set Aside.
5. Grab the bacon, and cut each strip into 4 (once length-wise, and once width-wise, so you have 4 smaller, narrow strips like this:
6. Now, take one of your pencil shaped dough piece and a strip of bacon. Wrap the bacon around the dough, then twist to secure it into position. Like so:
7. Next, take this twisted stick and place it on a cookie sheet (does not need to be greased) in the shape of a Candy Cane.
** TIP: ….if you have any dough left over, roll it out and use your favorite Holiday cookies cutters to make some less-bacony-but-still-delicious treats! **
8. Fill your cookie sheets, and when the oven is preheated, place them in. Bake the Bacon Canes for 45 minutes, or until they are lightly browned. (yes, you will see some bacon grease bubbling… that’s normal!)
9. Turn the oven off, prop the door open, and let the Bacon Canes dry out for the night (you can take them out before bed. Idealy, 2-3 hours works.)
Some cold, wet noses might be curious about why these drool-icious treats are being held captive in there…. so keep an eye on those furry friends!!
10. ENJOY! Wag wag, wiggle wiggle!
Barley & Ali will be posting 1 tutorial a day for 12 days to get you and your pooch into the holiday spirit! If you are interested in winning the lots of hand-made goodies and want to follow along with the tutorials, visit Barley & Ali ’s Blog !