This past Saturday, Wellie and I had the chance to go walking with Birch Haven Rescue and Rehabilitation‘s giant breed dogs (and honorary giant breed dogs). Wellie, was deemed one of the latter and it was a great experience for her to get out there and squander her fear of large breed dogs – and she did so well!
The walks happen on about a monthly basis (dependant on the weather) and move around to different parks each time so that you get to enjoy all that our beautiful city has to offer. This walk was at Conroy Pit Park and despite the heat, everyone had a great time. It’s also a great chance for some of the rescue dogs at the Birchhaven centre to get out and walk. On Saturday, Lincoln, a beautiful rescued St. Bernard, came out for his first group walk and did so well.
The walks are free and are open to anyone who would like to participate. From Gwen, BHRR‘s founder:
The walks are approximately every 6 weeks. The next one is Sunday September 18th. We switch up locales all across the Ottawa and surrounding area including Orleans, Kanata and even Kemptville.
This originally started off as a BHRR Great Dane Walk/Hike and moved to a GD & Other Giant Breed Walk/Hike and is now a BHRR GD & Honourary Great Dane Walk/Hike. Our smallest member is Toby, a dappled Doxie and our oldest is Jingles, a 19 year old Beagle that is blind/deaf. We have Pom/Chis mixes that come and all sizes in between. THE only thing that I require for people to join is that they:
- Must be a responsible dog owner – dog is to have manners, training and socialised – we have had these walks for over 15+ years and NEVER have we had an incident within the group. Only some outside incidents when irresponsible dog owners outside the group have not been accountable for their dogs actions.
- Be like minded when it comes to dog ownership – ONLY supporting reputable/quality Breeders and Rescues
- Believe in spaying/neutering
- Be responsible and courtesy on the walks/hikes to other members of the group and the public
- Be mindful of their dog so that they have enough water, pick up after their pet etc.
- BE prepared to have a BLAST
We are a member list of 125 members and our walks can have as little as 6 or as many as over 40 at times!